Friday, August 1, 2008

The Irony of Haircuts..

Well, personal experience talks and Haircut is that talk. Two days ago, i got this sudden idea..

"Why not have a haircut?"..

not precisely a sudden idea, but yeah, what else can one think about when its nearly 5 months since they last cut it. As usual it was hope that got the better of me and what did I hope for? Lame hope you would call it, I just wanted my college authorities to catch me and fine me for having looong hair but it never happened. I tried all sorts of things, went to the office room with a funny hairdo only for that foolish supervisor to shoo me away. He didn't even bother to look at my hair. Pity!

I'd been growing my hair since my practical exams in April and had no intentions of cutting it for a while, or rather months. With each passing day, the length increased gradually much to the delight of myself and to the disgust of my granddad who referred to me as a terrorist. But then my vision started to recede.. People suggested me to visit a doc but they hardly understood the real reason.

And then one day in class, I was sitting in the traditional back bench when the teacher realized that i was dreaming. He called out my name and asked me to repeat what he had just said.

I, with immense pride said "No Clue Sir.."

And he made a fool of me by saying "Shame, the answer is on the board.."

"Sorry sir, but i can't see the board.."

"Then make it to the first bench o' stupid boy.."

"Sir, you don't get it.. i won't be able to see the board even i stood in front of it.."

He could take no more, and the timely bell made him storm out of the class, with a puzzled look on his face..

Then we move on to those bus journeys when I've found myself in great jeopardy... to read a book, i had to tie my hair, and every inmate of the bus used to tease me for that..!

But unfortunately, almost everyone just loved my hair and for that very reason, i had to demonstrate a head bang to all those rock addicts.. Those were times when i felt like a mad man, not to mention a rock star..

Then came the unit tests, and i was looking forward to making a new record.. to create history.. For your information, never in a unit test since my first year had i passed all the exams.. I was proud to be in that club which had so many other elite names as well. But this time, the college had tricked us with its impudent rules. Fail even a single subject and you stay at college till 6pm for special classes not to mention special classes on saturday, that made me mad and that made me work hard.. Had no choice.. I'd do anything to avoid saturday college..!

Success was written all over my fate and through to the final exam i sailed in style, needing just one more to etch my name in the history books.. and during that exam entered the squad.. What squad you might ask.. Though a bomb squad is the most possible one in India right now, I don't think that is possible at all in my college.. Any terrorist would kill himself rather than plant a bomb in my college, so bad are the roads.. So coming back to the squad, it was a team of around 6 henchmen clad in white shirts and black pants looking like the members of the legislative assembly. They stormed into the room, checking our answer papers at random, digging our pockets for unholy bits of paper when that tradition had actually been done and dusted. We people know better methods to exchange answers.. write behind your question papers and exchange them or even better, show your answers to your friend directly.. These big men had little brains after all.. but as their search went on, my expectation rose.. I just hoped for at least one dumb head to look at my hair.. They came, searched my papers, dug my pockets and left in a jiffy.. Frustrating it was..

And then i made the choice..! to cut my hair..! All those promises i made to myself about cutting it only after i got caught had to be broken..

I stepped into green trends salon at 7pm and sat in that chair, and there in front of me in the mirror sat a funny boy with stunning hair! Blah..! all this time i wanted to cut it but then when I was moments away from cutting it, it looked awesome..! Thats the irony of haircuts..! Had no choice, so i asked the guy to 'trim' my hair and trim he did as usual..

Next day at college was one funny day when everyone failed to look at me in the eye.. they were all looking at my head.. Tears poured out of their hearts.. And one of them said..

"Barry, Why........! I just loved your hair..!"

and i cracked an untimely one..

"Sorry mate.. never knew.. if you'd told me before, i'd have cut it and given it to you..!"

All this for a haircut..! I sit and gaze at the stars right now, though its actually day time.. but yeah, my science teacher once had said that the stars always stayed even during daytime..!

And in ten minutes time, I'd be off to Sathyam Cinemas for another show of The Dark Knight..! So until then.....

3 comments:

Sid ! Football Freak ! said...

Haha.!

Dog.! Why did u cut it man ? U could have done a ROGER by getting in a ponytail behind..

Plus i din't see u in that old hairstyle..

Haha..

And how many times will u go to the Dark Knight ? :o

Unknown said...

whoaaaa..!
ur decriptions ver jus superbb..!

cant beleiv u grew it so much 4 da teachers 2 notice...funny guy...

i wish i had seen u in dat hairstyle...

Shriram said...

lol... its good to know that there are ppl who can find amusement in hell!!...:-D ...cheers to our coll mateyy!